Basic-important info about r.u.b.e

General discussion about the R.U.B.E editor
Sk0uF

Basic-important info about r.u.b.e

Post by Sk0uF »

So , basically i have some questions about what exactly i can achieve using r.u.b.e . I am currently working on a game using libgdx .The idea is simple , all i need to have is a lot levels with different enemies spawning(only able to move) ,a main charachter who will be able to move ,jumb ,slide and a constant backroung . So i represented my charachter as a rectangle and i made all the movements ,jump ,slide. I made the enemies as smaller or bigger rectangles .If you touch an enemy you lose. And the question is :

Why do i need r.u.b.e? I mean isn't rectangle all i need? I will just animate my charachter in it . Do i need it in order to make more complex interactions ? Do i need it in order to put the Image and then easily have it's shape? Or it can help me just making the level easier by just puting all things together and then just extract the file i need?

Also for a charachter who can move left and right with constant speed do i need a different shape and not a rectangle?
iforce2d
Site Admin

Re: Basic-important info about r.u.b.e

Post by iforce2d »

This is explained fairly well on the front page of the RUBE site: "The main advantage of an editor like this is the speed and ease of development gained by being able to place items visually. Being able to tweak values and quickly see the results improves turnaround time when fine tuning physical behaviors. When the editing of scenes is quick and easy, more time and incentive exists for exploring different ideas, making more interesting content (or simply more of it), and creating a quality game/app that doesn't cut corners."

If you have very simple scenes with no joints or interesting structures, and just a few bland and trivial things in your game, and you are happy to spend a long time creating the entire scene by programming it all manually in source code, then adjusting the game play in the source code as well.... then you probably don't need RUBE :)
Sk0uF

Post by Sk0uF »

Thank you very much for the quick answer .One more question : Can i use both the default box2d world in addition with rube?
iforce2d
Site Admin

Post by iforce2d »

There is no special world type for RUBE, it's just a normal box2d world. Check over the 'basic usage' outlined here: http://www.iforce2d.net/b2djson/