RUBE for Level Creation

General discussion about the R.U.B.E editor
devilishpsp

RUBE for Level Creation

Post by devilishpsp »

I've been very interested in RUBE for a while now, and am thinking of purchasing it but before doing so, I need to know if I can use it to make levels for my game.

Taking Hill Climb Racing as an example, would I be able to make levels like the ones in that game using RUBE easily?

I know RUBE is a Box2D editor, but I feel that the levels made in that game are just static/dynamic bodies. Is RUBE the best or a relevant tool for the job?
iforce2d
Site Admin

Re: RUBE for Level Creation

Post by iforce2d »

There is a free trial version you can evaluate, I think that is really the best way to answer the question to your own satisfaction.

The question will differ greatly depending on whether you want an endless terrain, or a course with a finish line. For courses with a finish line it's easy enough to just set everything up in RUBE. For example: http://box2d.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9314

Generally there are two ways to make 'endless' terrain.

1. You can generate the terrain procedurally, which will give truly unique terrain but will probably be a bit dull unless you put a lot of effort into the generation code. RUBE cannot help with this because the terrain will be generated by your code.

2. You can make many pieces of terrain that fit together, and when playing the game will randomly select a sequence of them to form the course. After a while the player might be able to tell that there are repeated sections of terrain. You could use RUBE to make the sections to be loaded.

In either case, the vehicle(s) could be made in RUBE.