Questions for RUBE

General discussion about the R.U.B.E editor
skinwalker

Questions for RUBE

Post by skinwalker »

Hello cummunity,
I am new with RUBE Editor and I have some questions for you guys :)

1.Can I please ask you to send me a JSON file made by RUBE (just a simple terrain or something like that) to try to run it in my AndEngine project just to make sure I can implement rube project before I buy the software?

2.When I create a terrain I start with a body with edge fixture and I also create my body of my car, because I find it easier to start with body with edge fixture instead of square body and when I run my rube project the car just misses the terrain and falls down (the terrain is static , the car dynamic).If I create the body of my car with square instaed of edge fixture , I have no problems the car collides with the terrain properly so is there any problem with edge fixture or what could it be?
iforce2d
Site Admin

Re: Questions for RUBE

Post by iforce2d »

1. Look in the 'sampleLoaders' folder included in the trial version download. There are many .json files in the various loader examples.

2. Edge shapes do not collide with other edge shapes - that's just how Box2D works. You can read about this in the Box2D manual, in the section titled "4.5 Edge Shapes":
A major limitation of edge shapes is that they can collide with circles and polygons but not with themselves. The collision algorithms used by Box2D require that at least one of two colliding shapes have volume. Edge shapes have no volume, so edge-edge collision is not possible.
Your car body will need to have mass anyway, if you want it to be a dynamic body. I recommend to make the car from polygon shapes.
skinwalker

Post by skinwalker »

Thanks for the quick response and also thanks for the tutorials :)
So basically I have to create my terrain with edge fixture and my car with square one?
iforce2d
Site Admin

Post by iforce2d »

Yes - although there is no need for the polygon to be square, you can shape it however you like.
skinwalker

Post by skinwalker »

Thanks one more question from me answer me if you have free time.
I am creating a platformer(runner) game and I will create my levels with rube, so I will draw my terrain and I want to create a body for my character its a spritesheet like this

As you can see there are different frames with animation how can I draw a body for this image?
iforce2d
Site Admin

Post by iforce2d »

Are you asking about how to use RUBE to create polygons? You could try this video, I think it covers most of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufoDZFYDpZc

Or are you asking what type of shape(s) you should make? This is a pretty common question it seems, if you look around on Stack Overflow you can find dozens of questions about it, eg. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2410 ... rite-synch

If you want my advice, keep it simple. Use a circle shape and focus on the bigger picture for now - there will be plenty of other problems to give you headaches without having complicated player collision as well.
skinwalker

Post by skinwalker »

I ordered the software and implemented my rube project to my AndEngine game, so I'm really satisfied, now I can easily draw terrains :)