I need some non physics layers

General discussion about the R.U.B.E editor
zerofield

I need some non physics layers

Post by zerofield »

Will rube add some layers only record object position and custom properties?
For example, if I want to add a smoke animation somewhere in my level, in this case, I don't need to bother the physics world.
iforce2d
Site Admin

Re: I need some non physics layers

Post by iforce2d »

Yes, this is planned for a future addition. Right now it does not seem too popular in the feature voting, so there are many other things that would be added first. Here is the outline from the feature voting, in case you're unable to see that (only users who purchased RUBE can vote):

--------
Markings, comments
Sometimes it can be handy to mark a location for reference without actually placing a body or fixture there. A 'marking' would be a simple visual icon such as a cross, dot, or a line that could be placed at any arbitrary location in the scene and saved in the .rube fie. A comment would be a short piece of text that could be attached to a marking to remind you of what it was about, or to help when sharing projects with others, similar to comments in Excel spreadsheets.

Markings and comments would have no effect on the physics world.
--------

In the meantime, you could define locations for smoke etc by placing named bodies/fixtures in the scene to get a position from, and then destroy them after loading.

To the broader question of having layers to separate items in the scene, that is also planned for a future addition. It would not be specific to non-physics layers though.