RUBE can AGK import

General discussion about the R.U.B.E editor
yamyam

RUBE can AGK import

Post by yamyam »

I have been using this amazing software demo for the last few days and it makes the task of creating physics worlds really easy, great tutorials and well thought out software.

My question is can the full version of this software be loaded in to AGK tier1 basic.
This is my preferred language for game programming.

Thank you.
iforce2d
Site Admin

Re: RUBE can AGK import

Post by iforce2d »

There is no ready-made source code to load levels into AGK (had to look up AGK on google too :D
RUBE outputs JSON format text, which can be parsed in many languages, and that gives you the information to create a Box2D world. The file format spec can be found at: https://www.iforce2d.net/rube/json-structure There are loader source code available for C++, Java, Javascript, and C# so you could make use of those to help you for whatever language AGK uses.

Hmm.... I looked into AGK a bit more, and it does not seem to be using Box2D anyway. Well ok, I suspect it probably is (just going by the colors they're using for fixtures), but they do not acknowledge that, and there is no way to use the Box2D API directly that I can see. I also could not see any easy way to parse a JSON file. I think without a convenient way to parse JSON, and without direct access to the Box2D API to replicate the world from the RUBE scene, at the current time I think it would be quite difficult to get RUBE output into an AGK world.